I drone econo.
Hard at work on a complex new Dirty Knobs song.
Solar energy that doesn’t block the view
A team of researchers at Michigan State University has developed a new type of solar concentrator that when placed over a window creates solar energy while allowing people to actually see through the window. It is called a transparent luminescent solar concentrator and can be used on buildings, cell phones and any other device that has a clear surface. And, according to Richard Lunt of MSU’s College of Engineering, the key word is “transparent.”
[read more at MSU] [paper] [picture credit: Yimu Zhao]
I’ve got a shirt for sale over on TeeFury today, and today only. It’s my first time with them. Here’s the LINK.
The Strange Tale of the North Pond Hermit -
For nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine, creeping into homes, and surviving on what he could steal. He became a legend. Then one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest. His name was Christopher Knight
This story is fascinating to me on so many levels.
1. From 1986-2013, he had almost zero human contact. In that time span, he spoke a single word to a human being. Astounding. I speak for a living. I can’t imagine just letting that part of my brain atrophy. I take human interaction for granted. Turns out, when it’s not a part of your life for many many years, you forget how to do it.
2. The survivalist instincts, especially in the winter are baffling. I grew up in Wisconsin, and the cold is something with which you don’t fool around. He lived in it every winter for almost 30 years. I could see maybe a night or two of it. Not a lifetime.
3. This man has not experienced the internet in any form. He’s like an unfrozen 80’s man. Large portions of human history have passed him by. I wonder if he knew about the Clinton administration, or 9/11 or ANYTHING at all. Sure, he was stealing reading materials, but I wonder if you really care about current events when your two main foci are concealment and survival.
4. No one ever found his lair. I guess not many people were looking for him, but still- how does someone live for so long in the same place without someone stumbling upon his camp? His careful plotting and planning were flawless for so very long.
"What I miss most is the stillness."
USA: Viking Ship Discovered Near Mississippi River | -
"This new discovery could be one of the oldest evidence of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact, and it certainly brings to mind the famous colony of ”Vinland” mentioned in the Icelandic Sagas. This mythical colony would have been established by Leif Ericson around the same period as the settlement at l’Anse aux Meadows, in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, the most famous site of a Norse or Viking settlement in North America outside Greenland."
For anyone who doesn’t know who Michael Brown is or what’s been going on in Ferguson
- Saturday Aug. 9, 2014: Reports out of Ferguson, MO. that a 17 y/o boy was shot 10 times by police over stolen candy
- He is identified as 18 y/o Michael Brown. The store Mike Brown…